Re: Accessibility aspects of Close buttons on dialogs?

Hi Christian and Bharat:

I also think that the 'close' button significantly improves
accessibility for some situations.  Not all use cases assume that the
user can control the keyboard or mouse directly.  The less-than-ideal
alternative in those cases is to require keystroke emulation to do
things like closing a window.  It also means that the "close" option
will not be exposed via menu or widget traversal, which will be used by
some users and assistive technologies as a means of exploring/presenting
a new dialog.  And of course I'm sure we're all familiar with
applications that behave badly when they are closed via the window
manager as opposed to using an explicit 'close' or 'exit' - so this can
present a dilemma for the user who is not sure whether closing the
window/app via the window manager is reliable without knowing the
origins of the application.

None of these issues are iron-clad stoppers for accessibility but I
think they add up to a "preference" for explicit close buttons from an
accessibility viewpoint.

Best regards,

Bill