gnopernicus - no speech

I have reinstalled the latest version of gnome-speech and it compiles
without error. I also installed Festival and have tried all 3 settings in
Gnopernicus (ViaVoice, Festival and Gnome-Speech) with the same results, 0
servers found. I ran brlmonitor and it functions properly on UDP port 7000.
I tried to locate the problem in Gnome-speech but have been unsuccessful.
If I execute the festival-tts-driver or the viavoice-tts-driver, I get the
following error:
** ERROR **: Error registering speech synthesis driver.

aborting...
Trace/brakpoint trap

However, when I test ViaVoice and Festival for speech output the speech
tests are successful. I'm running festival_server as a localhost and it is
connecting to festival port=1314, I can also test the connectivity by using
the festival_client. pl perl script and it is also successful.

Any suggestions on what I can check in Gnome-Speech,  server connectivity,
etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon Snider
Linux Information Development, Accessibility, and Usability
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-4127, T/L 678-4127

Yesterday, I upgraded to Red Hat 7.3 and the latest version of
> > Garnome/GNOME2.
>
>            Great.
>
> >  Then, following the instructions on the Baum site I
> > installed gnome-mag, gnome-speech, and gnopernicus. ViaVoice is
installed
> > for TTS. I have included the export information from the go-gnome.sh in
my
> > .bash_profile. When I run Gnopernicus the GUI appears and the terminal
> > displays the following information from start to exit, but I do not
have
> > speech. I have confirmed that my speech settings are set to ViaVoice.
In
> > General settings Braille and magnifier are not selected, only speech.
Does
> > anyone have any idea what I might be missing?
>
>            I _believe_ that no activation of speech stuff is done; thus
you need
> to ensure that you run the viavoice speech server  beforehand;

This isn't necessary for viavoice, only for festival (this is a known
limitation of the current versions of gnopernicus and gnome-speech, and
the long-term plan is to have gnome-speech start 'festival' if it's not
already running).  However the plan is for gnopernicus to use
gnome-speech for all its speech services.  The message you see indicates
that no gnome-speech services are being found.  This is either a bug in
gnopernicus or it indicates that something is wrong with your
gnome-speech installation or your GNOME stack.

I suspect that you may not have installed gnome-speech; previous
versions of gnopernicus didn't require it but the latest one might, and
at any rate the non-gnome-speech TTS service support in gnopernicus is
deprecated and slated for removal in favor of a pure gnome-speech
approach.

You might try choosing 'viavoice' from the gnopernicus speech service
selection dialog; if that still doesn't work then it suggests that the
direct-to-viavoice support is already gone.  The preferred solution is
to get gnome-speech working.

best regards,

Bill