Re: Gnopernicus

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 15:28, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I understand that there are problems with the Linux X-server implementation
> that prohibit magnification. Would you please detail me the changes needed
> to support magnification that are implemented on Solaris systems.

Hi Rich:

Well, that issue is somewhat outdated; we've gone ahead and implemented
most of a marginally-preformant magnification solution for Linux.  We
are hoping to include some special new XServer stuff for getting global
expose/dirty-region notifications, etc. which will be important later
on, but we have an interim solution that's looking better than our
assessment of, say, 2-3 months ago.

There is however one important missing piece; fullscreen magnification
requires two X screens.  This is a problem for most people's Linux
setups, for obvious reasons which include limited support for multiple
video cards, etc.  Xvfb doesn't do the trick since it doesn't do
keyboard events, etc.

So what we need is a "virtual screen" DDX for the X server; presumably
using system memory.  Applications (e.g. the normal GNOME desktop) would
write to this virtual screen, to which the keyboard and mouse would be
connected, and the magnification service (which has a 'reference
implementation' in "gnome-mag") would grab pixels from the virtual
screen via normal X API and display the magnified result on the physical
X screen.

I am not sure what the current limits of the XFree86 server are with
respect to multiple screens; however even if two XServers were required,
this would still work (albeit possibly a little more slowly).  In fact
gnome-mag can be used in fullscreen mode now by specifying two X screens
which may not be on the same host.  Of course this is not terribly
performant, but the missing piece is just the "virtual screen" for
XFree86.

As I said there will be other features which we'll want, going forward,
but this is the only one that I know of that is a significant blocker
for Linux fullscreen magnification at this time.

Thanks and best regards,

Bill