Re: Gnopernicus

Hi Richard,

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 23:16, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> I have been trying to get gnopernics to run on Gnome 2.0 I continue to get
> build warning and traps when I try to run it.

	I don't understand you; you get build warnings at build time, and
runtime warnings at run-time ;-) can you post your warnings.

>  Is there any documentation on
> this. I am working on Redhat 7.3 with the latest Ximian RedCarpet delivered
> builds of Gnome 2.0.

	No documentation, and 'gnopernicus' is still pretty much proof of
concept, it took me a while to get it working; for some reason there
appears to be some horrible bonobo-activation-server issue on my machine
causing a race at startup, which is depressing.

	It depends what you want to use it for; 'at-poke' is perhaps the most
functional a11y app out there.

	If you want to turn a11y on across gnome - it's prolly best to turn on
the a11y gconf key [ use gconf-editor, it's in desktop/interface I think
]. You'll need to re-login then.

	Alternatively if it's a pure Gtk app, you need to do something like:

	export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
	run-app,

	My gnopernicus died nastily, incidentally it seems Baum are not using a
schema to setup the defaults nicely. To fix that you can:

	killall -9 gconfd-2 ; killall -9 gconfd-1
	rm -Rf ~/.gconf/apps/gnopernicus

	Which will bin any stale settings before it starts.

	I also run 'brlmonitor', and then setup gnopernicus to use it, which
you do by setting the port to the local port number brlmonitor spits out
as it starts. Unfortunately the port spin-button is horribly mis-sized.

	Of course, to get speech output working, I built and installed
festival, but presumably you'll have viavoice to hand ;-)

> Rich Schwerdtfeger
> Senior Technical Staff Member
> IBM Accessibility Center
> Research Division

	Most interesting :-) let me know if you have any further problems. I'm
hacking here today trying to get a11y working outside of the Sun team's
Java-ized, custom setups, try and get gnome-mag back into the fold.

	Regards,

		Michael.