Re: KEYNAV:GtkMenu, GtkMenuItem ... (bug 53544)

> To: "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain sun com>
> CC: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: KEYNAV:GtkMenu, GtkMenuItem ... (bug 53544)
>
> Padraig O'Briain wrote:
>
> > Focus in menu bar
> > =================
> > Should the mnemonics for the menu items in the currently displayed menu
work?

> Yes.
>
> > Should the mnemonics for items in the menu bar work?
>
> Hmmm... that's a good question.  You've probably just hit upon the
> reason why Windows allows you to give focus to menu titles on the title
> bar *without* posting the corresponding menu-- so you can use mnemonics
> to navigate around the menu bar before posting your chosen menu.
>
> I think given the way we're implementing it, though (i.e. menu is always
> posted, even though focus remains on menu title), mnemonics for other
> menu titles on the menu bar should *not* work in this situation.  That
> is, once a menu has been posted, only the mnemonics on that menu should
> be active, even if focus is still on the menu title and not within the
> menu itself.  Anyone disagree...?

I am not sure I agree. The mnemonics apply to the current menu, i.e. the lowest
menu in the hierarchy with a selected menu item. If we changed that behavior we
would also be changing it for the situation when a menu has a menu item which
has a submenu; if the menu item was selected the submenu would be displayed and
the mnemonics would apply to the submenu.