Re: scripting apps

Gerald,

the at-spi layer will soon provide a way to trap and modify keyboard and mouse events, so a macro/recording and playback facility could theoretically be written using it. More interesting, I think, is the possibility of providing a context-sensative macro builder which gives the user options based on the currently focused widget.

Yet another example of how accessibility ultimately benefits everyone... :)

Marc

At 12:10 AM 11/13/2001 -0600, Gerald Champagne wrote:
> At ALS it was pointed out that it would be nice to have simple
> user-level scripting - something like "choose the following menu item,
> enter the following text" - which wouldn't require knowledge of IDL or
> anything like that. We quickly realized that the accessibility
> framework already provides the necessary hooks, and we'd just need to
> add a little more glue and some Python bindings for appropriate APIs.
>
> An interesting project for someone...

This is great!  If this framework provides hooks to play back actions
from a script, does it also provide hooks to record user actions into a
script as well?  A macro record and playback user interface would be a
great way to allow a non-programmer to create scripts.

Imagine the uses for regressions testing...

Gerald