Re: [g-a-devel] RELATION_CONTROLLED_BY and RELATION_CONTROLLER_FOR

Peter,

Thanks for the info. What implementations exist in AT's and apps for the controller/controlled relationships so far? I'm trying to envision the UI benefits for various kinds of end users.

Also, have similar questions about RELATION_MEMBER_OF.
I can imagine this being useful in your SVG engine parts example. It seems like all of the members of a group need to be tied together by one common object that contains them somehow? For example, if I have a set of emails subjects displayed on the screen, and some of them are members of the group "important", then what accessible object are they a member of? Or, am I not understanding the how member of is intended to be used. Perhaps I'm reinventing extensible states.

- Aaron

Peter Korn wrote:
Hi Aaron,

A scrolling field is controlled by a scroll bar.  A text field with font
size is (or should be) controlled by the listbox of font sizes - see the
one in the GNOME standard font chooser.  A spreadsheet cell that is the
output of a function of other spreadsheet cells is controlled by them.

The first two examples you cite below wouldn't be controlling
situations.  The zoom, on the other hand, is an interesting question for
me.  I'd say controlling is appropriate there.

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team

Aaron Leventhal wrote:

RELATION_CONTROLLED_BY  Indicates an object controlled by one or more
target objects.
RELATION_CONTROLLER_FOR   Indicates an object is an controller for one
or more target objects.

Forgive the dense question ... what is meant by 'controlled' in this
instance? What are some typical examples? What is it used for today, and
what are known planned uses for it?

- Is a tree item 'controlled' by the collapse/expand button on the parent?
- Is a window 'controlled by' the close button?
- Is a document view 'controlled by' a zoom button on the toolbar?

- Aaron