Re: [g-a-devel] generateKeyboardEvent Patch for Java Access Bridge

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:25:37 +0100, Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman sun com> wrote:>
> >For keycodes, wont any java code that return them have to communicate
> >with X? Its my understanding that keycodes change depending on what
> >keyboard is plugged in (I could be wrong). So, essentially the java
> >program will have to return the X keycodes. Right?
> >
> I am doubtful.

Hmm, perhaps I am mistaken. I have not actually tested this out to confirm it.

The reason I think this is because when you look at under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes there are multiple files, each
defining keycodes for various keyboards. Looking into these files it
is clear that a keycode for a particular key on one keyboard does not
correspond to the same key on another keyboard.
Also, the x function to get keycodes (XKeysymToKeycode) does not only
take a keysym, but it also need a reference to which display is being
used.

Like I have said I have not tested this, but I will when I can get my
hands on another keyboard.

> >You are right that I could just use just be using strings instead of
> >keysyms or keycodes, if I was just trying to mimic a single keypress.
> >But to generate more complex keyboard events (ie ctrl alt R), you
> >would need to use keycodes (cause they are the only ones with key
> >press and release capabilities).
>
> I'll have another look at the implementation, to see if there is
> something better that we can do.  I do wonder, however, why a Java
> application, even an assistive technology, needs to synthesize specific
> keycode sequences.  What are you trying to do, again?

I am trying to write an onscreen keyboard (for my tablet pc). This is
why I need to be able to implement complex keystrokes. I do realise
that there are already onscreen keyboard out there, but none of them
are as simple or intuitive as I would like.

I know I could write this in C and use X methods to find the keycodes
and keysyms, but if the Java Access Bridge can call
generateKeyboardEvent and it uses keysyms and keycodes, shouldn't
there be a away in java to get them?

Thanks,

Matt Wringe