Re: [g-a-devel] Language Identifier for VoiceInfo [Multi-language support consideration]

Aditya Pandey wrote:

I have ported my app's interface to gnome-speech in linux (in MS
Windows, it is implemented using SAPI). Till now, I have been able to
test only with US English for gnome-speech.

gnome-speech provides information on the 'locale' which a voice supports, in the 'language' string member of the VoiceInfo structure. You can either query for all voices which a driver has which support a particular locale, or you can examine the 'language' member of an existing voice. The string in the 'language' member conforms to the standard POSIX locale string format used elsewhere in Unix/Linux. Note also that if you do a VoiceInfo query with a non-NULL language string, you can do matching on language substrings (such as "en" instead of "en_GB", etc.). For instance, a query for "pt_BR" would match only Brazilian Portuguese, whereas a query for "pt" would match both "pt_BR" and "pt".

regards

Bill

To provide support for multiple languages in SAPI, I could have used a
specific code for each language (LCID) much like following reference:
      http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/name.htm

SImilary, I need to something in linux realm and for that, I seek your
advice/guidance/suggestions.

Since gspeech itself is a wrapper, is there standard for all drivers
for language (specific field GNOME_Speech_VoiceInfo.language) ? Like
festival uses 'en_us' and freeTTS/viavoice also specifying 'en_us'
instead of non standard 'ENU'. Is there some doc available on net for
this?

Aditya Kumar Pandey