Re: [g-a-devel] GOK and a different way of show keyboard

Hello and welcome to the list!

GOK has been designed to be highly customizable. I don't know how much you know about GOK (and Onscreen Keyboards in general) so I'm not sure what to say ;-)

I think you can do what you are attempting by customizing GOK. One area of GOK which we haven't had time to implement is described here: http://www.gok.ca/morse.html The figure on this page is not necessarily what the user would see, but describes the selection process. There is also something we call Visually Cued Coded Access with generalizes this technique (see http://www.gok.ca/concepts.html).

In designing GOK we conceptually separated: Selection Technique, Grouping of keys, and Controlling Acts (user->hardware).

Feel free to email me directly with more detailed questions etc. Maybe you could tell me more about pylisiere? It is interesting that you use python, as we have an interest in using that language.

cheers,

David

rangzen wrote:

Hello to all the list,

first of all : thank you for your work !

and second : sorry for my english :)

I work on pylisiere https://gna.org/projects/pylisiere a virtual keyboard.
When i start this program my first goal was to find a way to write for
people who can only use a binary signal to communicate like people under
Lock-in syndrom or who can only move a finger (up or down, mouvement or
not) or control their breath (breath or not, in or out).
For this, a virtual keyboard wich look like our keyboard with more than
100 keys is unusable, even with automatic advance in the key, it's too
slow ...

My works now looks like the ditionnary who help you to write on cell phone
with predictive words and more than 1 letter per key. This "technlogy" is
called T9 in cell phone. I show my works to an hospital on a livecd wich
is very interested and propose me some tests with disabled people to test
their use of the program.

There is a group of letter by touch so you have to use a dictionnary to
propose the words wich can match with.
Example :
Key 1 : eairs
Key 2 : tnoc
You press 1,1 and 2
Wich word match with [eairs][eairs][tnoc] : set, sin, etc order by number
of use or freq of use in your langage, etc.
You can see a screenshot at http://home.gna.org/pylisiere/

Pylisiere can be change to work with any group of key per boutton, with
any number of button. My work is actually on building free (as freedom ;)
) dictionnary.

pylisiere can only input text and the hospital tell me that people want go
on internet, watch dvd, etc. So i continue my research and i found gok ...
You have probably more than 2 years of advance on me :)

I think that it's probably better to adapt my job to yours, so i want to
know if you have allraedy some works in progress for a vk with group of
letter and dictionnary ?
Is it possible to adapt this idea to gok ?
Did you have already try this ?
Is it too big to change ?

Thank you very much.