[g-a-devel] Re: Gnopernicus on a Live CD?

Hi Luke,

I played a bit with your Live CD.  Very cool!

A few quick comments:

 1. The default volume level for my laptop was too low; consider setting
    it higher
 2. The default Festival speech speech is kinda slow; consider setting it
    higher (something like rate=188 or some such).
 3. gnome-mag isn't present.  It would be nice to be able to do magnification
    as well as speech.
 4. I didn't find brltty on the system.  Is it there?  That is an important
    addition (even though it boots directly to GNOME, enough people will
    want console access; also acces to the larger number of Braille devices
    that BrlTTY provides via BrlAPI).
 5. More on Braille - can you make /dev/ttyS0-S4 writable by world?  That
    will make using non-BrlTTY Braille devices a bit easier...
 6. I didn't see any of the usual Preferences panels.  It would be nice
    to control StickyKeys (among other things) directly from the menu.
 7. It would be nice if at-poke were included.
 8. Consider using the Sun Mozilla-1.7 branch instead of (or in addition to)
    Firefox.  Firefox doesn't have all of the accessibility bug fixes that
    are in the Sun Mozilla-1.7 branch ((I think only about half have made it
    back to Mozilla head thus far, with more trickling in regularly...):
  ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/accessibility/sun-mozilla-1.7/
 9. The first couple of times I ran Gnopernicus,  it wasn't speaking very
    much.  I got character echo, window switch events, and group membership
    when tabbing (e.g. in the gnome-at-preferences dialog, tabbing through it
    I'd get "Support"and "Applications" spoken, but not 'checkbox Enable
    assistive technologies' or the buttons or anything.  It felt like an
    older Festival bug that I thought was fixed by now, having to do with
    speech callbacks and the like.  Running Gnopernicus a third time, I
    didn't experience these problems.  Wierd...

Of course, to echo Bill Haneman, including accessible OpenOffice (somehow) would be a key addition.

Again, very cool!

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team