Re: [g-a-devel] Stopping gnopernicus from announcing ...

Peter Korn writes:
> Hi Ashu,
>
> Why is this announcement undesirable?  Why wouldn't a blind user want to
> know that a new window appeard on his/her screen?

Well, I will answer for myself.

All spoken messages take up time. Because a speech interface is
necessarily serial, time is the most precious commodity. So, for me,
hearing the result is more important than hearing the action.

I do want to hear that a Window opens, but hearing "Opening Window"
seems highly redundant. An earcon would be less time consuming and would
suffice, once I know what sound earcon equals "opening Window." Also,
hearing [application.name]/+[some.value.field/button] would probably be
more valuable and a better use of time. This data is likely the next
thing that would be spoken anyway.

I should think messages like "opening," "Closing," etc. are helpful when
one is learning, and just get in the way once one is comfortable in an
environment.