Re: [g-a-devel] Extensible states (or properties)

Peter/All:

In mozilla mail (and I presume in Firefox too) you can choose to display the "label" column in which case the label is shown in textual form.

I think that text attributes (i.e. Accessibility::Text::getAttributes()) can also be used to expose this kind of semantic information (in fact the new docs for text attributes recommend this). The "label" attribute could also be exposed on the individual Accessible objects in the email list via the Accessible::getAttributes() aka atk_object_get/set_attributes() API recently added to ATK.

regards

Bill

Peter Korn wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, label information in this case is shown visually *solely* through color. As such we have a basic accessibility problem we must also solve. And the solution to this might well provide us with another solution to the question of how to expose this to users of assistive technologies. E.g. if we introduce a new column titled "label", then the object that is shown in that column (in addition to any color coding) might bear the AccessibleName of "Important", "Work", etc.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.