Re: [g-a-devel]Gnopernkicus with external speech synthesizers

Scott:

There was/is already at least one hardware synth driver written for gnome-speech. I think Marc can tell you more. I do not know whether the driver still works or not, but there should be code for you to start from. Note that it may not be feasible for an external synth can provide information on whether it has finished speaking a queued request or not, so implementing the 'Callback' API may be tough. Gnopernicus can in theory work with speech drivers that don't implement 'Callback' (for instance Festival), but
results are not as good as for drivers which provide the Callback feature.

Depending on the serial API and whether the synth blocks while speaking a request, you might be able to approximate Callback on a per-utterance basis (i.e. a rather
coarse granularity).

regards

Bill

Scott Berry wrote:

We have quite a thread on the speakup list going on about making Gnome
work with external speech synthesizers.  First of all, are any of you
developers looking at including external speech support?  Secondly, if not
if I could get some hand holding I could at least come up with a
Doubletalk Lt speech driver.  I do program but have never programmed a
driver.  I think that this area needs some serious concentration before
continuing with making keyboard changes and possibly even before doing
more work on making Gnopernicus read.  The reason I say this is that way
implementation of the synths could be put in and then if there are special
parameters for the external synths then that could be included in the
appropriate modules which must be loaded for Gnopernicus to work.  All
feedback is welcome.