Re: [g-a-devel]Re: [Fwd: Help for project work in Linux]

Hi Santosh and Purushotham (or Mssrs Santosh and Purushotham):

Thanks for your email. On reading your email it seems to me that the goal of your project is input of Indic languages via virtual keyboards.

If I understand you correctly, this is already possible via GOK, and as David said we would be grateful for your assistance in improving GOK's current support for languages in the Indian Language family.

I am not sure why you wish to design a virtual keyboard using Glade, rather than use GOK and GOK's infrastructure to create these keyboards dynamically. Perhaps you are not familiar with GOK's indian language support, or how GOK functions?

I would not recommend designing a new virtual keyboard using Glade, since this would largely duplicate features which GOK provides; GOK is already part of the core GNOME desktop system and is therefore included in newer versions of the GNOME desktop. Perhaps it would be good for me to explain in more detail what is presently available with GOK in this regard.

GOK itself now has translations for Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Panjabi, and Tamil. This means that the GOK internal messages and strings, and the labels on its various keyboards are translated. Some of these translations are not very complete - Punjabi, Bengali and Gujarati are almost complete, but Hindi is only about 1/3 translated and Tamil is only about 10% complete.

More importantly for your effort, GOK reads the current description of the "physical" keyboard directly from the X server, unless you have explicitly configured it to do otherwise. Since GOK bypasses the physical keyboard, the user can configure his or her system to use any keyboard description which is available. On most linux systems there are keyboard descriptions available for all of the above languages and locales, and even more, in the Indic language family. This means that if you set your keyboard layout, for instance, to Bengali, using GNOME's "keyboard indicator" applet, GOK will read this information and display a Gujarati virtual keyboard to the user when 'Compose' is selected from the GOK Main Keyboard. GOK can also be configured to start at a keyboard other than "Main", thus you could run

gok --keyboard "Keyboard"

to use the GOK onscreen rendition of the Gujarati keyboard directly.

Lastly, GOK allows the creation of custom keyboards from XML files, so if an appropriate keyboard description for your locale isn't available on your system, you can create one with a text editor or XML editor. The file "qwerty.kbd" which is distributed with GOK is an example of such a hand-coded XML keyboard for the English language; you could create a similar keyboard which substitutes the appropriate unicode points for "a", "b", etc, in the XML file. For example, instead of

        <GOK:key left="2" right="3" top="2" bottom="3" type="normal">
                <GOK:label>w</GOK:label>
                <GOK:label level="2">A</GOK:label>
                <GOK:output type="keysym">a</GOK:output>
        </GOK:key>

you could specify

        <GOK:key left="2" right="3" top="2" bottom="3" type="normal">
                <GOK:label>\340\244\205</GOK:label>
                <GOK:output type="keysym">U+0905</GOK:output>
        </GOK:key>

Please feel free to email David or myself if you have questions about using GOK to create virtual onscreen keyboards for any language or purpose.

Best regards,

- Bill

*/David Bolter <david bolter utoronto ca>/* wrote:

    Dear Purushotham and Santosh,

I would like to help you if I can. (Simon Bates forwarded your message to me). I'm not sure what the goal of your project is, but it would be
    great if you could improve the Indian language/s support with GOK.
Perhaps you could help us make gok more useful to people wanting to use
    it for advanced language input methods.

    I am also copying Bill Haneman on this email as he and I are the
    current
    maintainers for the GOK project.

Please let us know more specifics of your project goals so that we can
    help you better.

    cheers,

    David Bolter
    Simon Bates wrote:

     > Subject:
     > Help for project work in Linux
     > From:
     > Purushotham Yadav
     > Date:
     >! ; Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
     > To:
     > simon bates utoronto ca
     >
     > From,
     >
     > Purushotham. L and
     > Santosh Kumar. P.A,
     > Information-Science and Engineering,
     > Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering,
     > Bangalore, India .
     >

     > To,
     > Mr. Simon Bates,
     > Adaptive Technology Resource Centre.
     >
     > Respected Sir,
     > Sub : /Help for a project on On-Screenkeyboard
     > simulation for
     > Red Hat Linux 9.0 ...
     >
     > /We, Purushotham. L and Santosh Kumar P. A. are
     > students doing our graduation in Information-Science and
    Engineering,
     > located in Bangalore,India.
     > _As a part of the college curriculum we have a mini-project to be
    done
     > during this
     > semester.
     > _ We are inspired by the wonderful work of designing
     > an On-screen keyboard
> for Fedora Core 1 by you and your team. Based on this topic we! have
     > chosen to do our
     > mini-project. _We are interested to learn the programming aspect
    of your
     > package.
> _Our team has been working on 'Glade Interface designer' package to
     > achieve the same.
     > The package we are trying to do with your help is intended to
    support
     > Indian language/s
     > on 'Red Hat Linux 9.0 and later versions.
     > *Thus, we request to help us on how to go about the
     > development.
     > Provide us with some programming techniques, hints and
    suggestions to be
     > followed regarding this. We kindly request if you and your team
    kindly
     > provide details onhow to go about the work as soon as possible
    and oblige.

     > *
     >
     > Thanking you,
     >
     > *
     > Purushotham. L
     >

     > Santosh Kumar P. A.
     >
     > >*
     >
     > *
     > *

     > > om/ph/print_splash>

From,
Purushotham. L and
Santosh Kumar. P.A,
Information-Science and Engineering,
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering,
Bangalore, India .

To,
Mr. David Bolter.

Respected Sir,
Many thanks for your immediate response. Details of our project is as undermentioned, We are working on the Red Hat 9.0 OS using GLADE Interface Designer for the project.
   We wish to develop the keyboard layout using the GLADE GUI builder.
Basic part of our project should print the characters given on the GUI button when the mouse clicks on it. The important thing is to simulate keyboard layout having English characters and the display should be on any current active window on the screen. Function keys,special characters,shift,control
etc. should also be operable.
  We have gone through basic operations, Widgets, gdk-keyboard handling,
gtk-Buttons, gtk-Clipboard in the help file.We have also a keyboard layout. Now, we mainly need to know how the 'keyboard-like signals' are to be sent from the GUI buttons to the kernel and back to current active window. The butt! ons when clicked on the GUI should perform operations same as
when keyboard is operated.
If this basic prototype is achieved, we would like it to be enhanced for
Indian language/s.
And yeah! we are doing this as a mini-project as a part of the curricullum. This should be submitted as soon as possible,say in about 20-25 days. We are determined to this
completely and obviously not at all without your help.
Please, do send this message who are also interested in the project work.
We will be very thankful althrough for your kind guidance.
Thanking you,

Sincerely yours,

Purushotham. L
Santhosh Kumar P. A.