Re: [g-a-devel]atk_hypertext_get_link_index

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:15, Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> I am looking at implementing the function atk_hypertext_get_link_index in the
> accessibility support for libgtkhtml2, the library used, inter alia, to display
> the help text for gnome-help.
>
> I would like to make sure I understand correctly the paraemters to this
> function.
>
> The second paraemter is called char_index. The description of the function
> implies that this value is not the same as the offset value used in AtkText
> functions for multibyte characters.
>
> Is this correct?

I think this is a doc bug; we should certainly strive to be consistent
in our definitions of "character offsets" within ATK.  It seems to me
that the text 'offsets' in AtkHyperlink should be 'character' offsets
rather than byte offsets.

I think the reason for the doc differences is that AtkHypertext doesn't
have to be an AtkText implementor (perhaps confusingly, as far as
nomenclature goes); that is, it should be possible for non-textual
objects to implement AtkHypertext, in which case the 'offsets' will
refer to something other then character offset.  The idea is that
'offset' will always be meaningful but the meaning may be context
dependent, and that in tha case of AtkText implementors which also
implement AtkHypertext, the offsets correspond to those used in the
AtkText API.

-Bill