Re: [g-a-devel]gnome-mag IDL

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 12:18, Bill Haneman wrote:
> magnification needs, we are drafting some new/revised IDL for gnome-mag.

... Snip lots of nice feature discussion ...

> So this seems to suggest use of a generic API for properties, for
> instance Bonobo::PropertyBag, with keys such as "contrast", "icon-set",
> "cursor-set".

	Fair enough; I'd also be in favour of adding a 'property_bag_widget' or
somesuch to libbonoboui that would list the contents of the
PropertyBag's properties, and let them be manipulated, since this could
be easily shared between glade, and various other projects.

> 	public interface ZoomRegion : Bonobo::PropertyBag
>
> 		setMagFactor ()
> 		setValue ("contrast", some-contrast-value-as-CORBA-any)

	It sucks to inherit from PropertyBag; badly, for all the reasons
discussed before.

> We would prefer, I suppose, not to have to call the Bonobo::PropertyBag
> API via a getInterface() call on the ZoomRegion (for both convenience
> anc code clarity).  However, making ZoomRegion derive from PropertyBag
> directly seems a little unusual;
>
> Michael, what is your suggestion here?

	Consider if you can use a simple PropertyBag interface instead of
ZoomRegion altogether ?

	Can you have 'magFactor' as a property instead of a 'setMagFactor'
method ?

> suggestions welcome; I'll post complete draft IDL a little later today,

	Look forward to seeing it.