[g-a-devel]Re: CORBA API thought ...

>Subject: CORBA API thought ...
>From: Michael Meeks <michael ximian com>
>To: Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
>Date: 29 May 2002 14:01:18 +0100
>
>Hi Bill,
>
>	If you take a look at the at-poke CORBA traffic, you notice it's doing
>a heck of a lot of:
>
>	getChildAtIndex (0), getChildAtIndex (1) ....
>
>	which is a really big chunk of roundtrips, and far worse, during each
>roundtrip the list could change length / order which is a pain for
>people to cope with.
>
>	It would be far more efficient to have a 'getChildren' method that
>returned a single shot sequence of all the children, which would not
>have the re-entering / order changing problems, and would be
>considerably faster.

Hi:

Considerable thought was given to this topic before the original API was decided.  In
some cases the number of children can be very large (for instance, tables) and we really
want to discourage "getChildren" since thousands/hundreds of thousands of objects could
be returned, many of them transient.

A getChildren(firstIndex, lastIndex) might be a possibility; if a client calls

getChildren(0, 1000000) then presumably they should be prepared for the result ;-)

regards,

-Bill

>	Just a thought for the next rev.
>
>	Regards,
>
>		Michael.
>
>--
> mmeeks gnu org  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

------
Bill Haneman x19279
Gnome Accessibility / Batik SVG Toolkit
Sun Microsystems Ireland