Re: [g-a-devel]Re: Ghost-View(ggv): Extracting text from GtkGs Widget

Hi Mukund,

I tried using "prescript" tool to convert postscript to text and html. The
text generated by this tool is well
formatted, but it cannot reproduce an image or non ASCII symbols like
"infinity" from the postscript document.

In terms of accessibility, the converted text can be used by an AT to
replicate the postscript document to user, but
the limitation is that the image and non ASCII symbols can't be reproduced.

Pls, pour in your comments ....

Regards,
Raj.

Mukund wrote:

> Jaka, Raj,
>
> > well, this is actually postscript code piped to ghostscript. to
> > correctly extract text from it, you'd have to write a full postscript
> > interpreter, ie clone ghostscript in ggv, which would be quite a
> > difficult task... so I suppose ggv will never be really accessible.
>
> How about using some tool (within the code) like ps2html or ps2ascii or
> pstotext and extract the text info?
>
> Am not sure but if ggv sends postscript code to gs one page at a time,
> pass the same content to the tool to get the corresponding text.
>
> Notes:
> (1) I haven't really used the above tools extensively. Tried running
> ps2ascii and it does work. But this may not be something you want to use
> since the words seem to be split in the output. Unless there are options
> to the command not to do it. But pstotext may do better rendering so
> check that out.
>
> (2) You may want to embed the functionality of the tool into the ggv/gs
> program (instead of using the command-line from within the code). This
> would remove the dependency of the user having the command(s) installed
> in his/her setup.
>
> (3) There are other things like you could use a text window to present
> the info on the screen (instead of the drawing area). This, *only* if
> accessibility is sought by the user. In other words, Gail loaded. This
> way, the accessibility info is made available out-of-box. But that means
> some work, which anyway, I guess, you will end up doing.
>
> But these are just my thoughts. Let me know if am overlooking something
> in the process..
>
> Cheers,
> Mukund.

Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited
is 'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any
use, copying or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL
in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.