Re: [g-a-devel]Re: [G2R] Re: gail-1.0.pc.in

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:25:01AM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > >         I personaly feel it is a serious mistake to have gail anywhere
> > > near the bottom of the stack here. In fact I think that we should do
> the
> > > following:
> >
> > Gail feels like a very similar problem to glade.  Can we not solve it
> > the same way ?  Have the core of gail low in the heirarchy and have
> > the modules above register gail extensions.
>
>         Well - the way gail works is via GTK_MODULE hooks, and as such it
> is somewhat difficult to load the modules efficiently. ie. there is AFAICS
> no single entry point, or place where one can load auxilliary modules one
> might need.
>
>         I tend to think putting some hooks into the gnome_program_ stuff
> might be very useful - so we don't setup accessibility for modules unless
> we use them, also providing a good time to do some explicit loads of
> accessibility modules - and perhaps hooking in at-bridge etc. - without
> using the somewhat uncontrolled GTK_MODULES entry. - Of course, then we'd
> need another env. var to conditionaly do that: GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY perhaps
> or somesuch.
>
>         Of course - perhaps I've misunderstood the design; but the
> GTK_MODULEs thing seems rather limiting to me in terms of libglade like
> flexibility. I think as a direction it might make a lot more sense to
> utilize gnome-program, and leave GTK_MODULES env. vars for just that -
> Gtk+ programs only.

If we go this route we need to be sure that the GTK_MODULES loading
mechanism continues to work for GTK+ apps and that it does not clash
with gnome_program_foo code.

I am dubious because I think that GTK+ apps (i.e. apps that don't use
gnome-program) can use widgets that we need to add support for, so our
extension mechanism probably should not be tied to g-p.

-Bill