Re: [reiserfs-list] [Fwd: Re: Magic is useless!]

Raphael Bosshard wrote:

Re: Magic is useless!

Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com>

Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:24:14 -0500

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM>

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:07:00PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

Most major file formats already have a detectable magic byte
signaturate, though some of the now prospering "human readable"
formats using XML or whatever are a thorn in the side (particularly
if they are compressed, grr). But this would be a good complement.

   Been there for 2.5 year in the normalization process. XML totally
outgrows the Mime-Type mechanism. Mime-Type is unfortuantely obsoleted
in that work. Want an example ?:
  Okay you can get the mime type for SMIL could be application/smil
  (I'm too lazy to check). You can also get the Mime-Type for SVG
like graphic/svg. Now both the SMIL and the SVG spec expects to mix elements from each other in a single document (using namespaces
  to do the coupling). Now tell me the Mime-Type of the document...

"set" or "directory" whose elements have various primitive types.

This is not to say that I disagree with your conclusion below, I just quibble.

A better approach is a list/hierarchy of strings and not a single one, the list of namespaces name of
a XML document, the list of mimetypes of a zip. To take the example
of a ZIP format it could be:

      (zip (image/gif,   xml/docbook,   image/gif))

  to use a LISP like syntax. For a compound compressed XML document

(gzip (application/xml (http://www.w3.org/2001/svg http://www.w3.org/)))