Magic is useless!

Hi all!

There is currently a thread running in the reiserfs-maillist about
"replacing" file-magic with an additional file-attribut called
"File-Type", containing the Mime-Type of the file.

Hans Reiser is willing to implement this into Reiser4, but more work has
to be done, especialy in user-space. Allmost all applications will have
to be patched or rewritten, but we think thats worth it.

The current solutions, File-Type identification via File-Magic or the
Extension, are nothing more than a hacks.

I ask for the support of the gnome-team for this case. Also support from
the other filesystem-teams is needed.

Thank you verry much.

Raphael