Re: Actually looking at the code - why init oafd

Hi George,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, George wrote:
> oafd is NOT started on program init, gconfd is not started on program
> init.  No CORBA calls are made.

        AFAIR the oafd start on program init was an attempt to get round
issues with idle handlers and activation; inasmuch that liboaf does
something like:

user:           do_some_oaf_call
liboaf:         get_activation_server
                fork_server
                g_main_loop_iterate and listen to GIOChannel for IOR
user_idle:      do_some_oaf_call
                get_activation_server
                fork_server ....

        Which sucks. Clearly there are several possible solutions to this,
one of which I think was initializing oaf at app startup.

        Perhaps this re-enterancy should be fixed inside bonobo-activation
by using either a custom mainloop there - or possibly the linc mainloop -
since then we can still get fun CORBA re-enterancy issues :-)

        Regards,

                Michael.