Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Anyhow, you should not need to upgrade to the latest GNOME until you
> make a new Solaris release. There's no reason to keep pulling the
> latest stuff. There's also no reason you need to ship GNOME 2.0.0 with
> Solaris, rather than 2.0.1 or 2.2.

This is very true.  It just seems that GNOME 2.0 is not turning out to be
the user desktop that I initially believed it would be.  I thought we all wanted

a fully featured desktop with everything ported to the 2.0 technologies,
getting rid of deprecated libs, exterminating the need for delivering multiple
versions of libraries etc.
It now seems that this is not going to happen until a later release.

---------------8<---------------------------

> Havoc

I do understand the need for regular community releases and how
the Gnome project "works".  My simple point was that I thought
everything was breaking for 2.0 and not for the next release two
months down the road

So I guess I need to stop sounding like I am demanding stuff
(because I am not) and just start looking at the very real option
of delievering 2.0.1 or 2.2 as the desktop for Solaris.

Thanks,

Stephen.