Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

Glynn Foster <glynn foster sun com> writes:
> One point to be said *for* a UI freeze, however, is that you can be
> pretty much certain that the 1000's of documents aren't broken as a
> result of someone fiddling around with the UI. Why? Each document
> probably contains one or two screenshots and more for some. Each
> document is translated into say 10 languages, with seperate screenshots
> required. That's a lot of breakage in my book :)

This is true, but at the same time it's simply infeasible to require
volunteer developers to update all docs when making a change, and
infeasible to be sure that someone on the docs team will update all
docs immediately following a change. So, we are going to get out of
sync.

What will happen in practice is that our open source docs team will do
their best to keep up with the UI, and we can have some good process
in place to help them do so, ideally. But they'll always be a bit
behind, and when an OS vendor does a branch/freeze, they will have to
fix up the loose ends, just as e.g. Red Hat does for translations.
(We have people take the upstream po files and bring them to 100%, for
the languages we support, and have our own string freeze after which
we don't upgrade to new upstream versions.)

Havoc