Re: App porting document

Hi Malcolm,

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> If you are a maintainer of a platform package, please have a look at
> the following status list ...

        Do you think you could have a brief pre-amble on how to build
Gnome 2.0 ? you might find this:

        http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/gnome-2.0-depends.png

        useful.

> 3. I need a short list of major changes from 1.x to 2.x:
>       - libglade

        Almost nothing; the single most annoying thing is the change of
signatures to include the translation domain:

- GladeXML *glade_xml_new       (const char *fname, const char *root);
+ GladeXML *glade_xml_new       (const char *fname, const char *root,
                                 const char *domain);

        Solution pass NULL as the domain,

        Also the method: 'glade_xml_new_with_domain' is now marked public
inside libglade but has no public prototype - hmm; either way this is
deprecated and can be switched simply to glade_xml_new since this now
includes the domain argument ...

> 4. I have no (or very little) clue and need more complete notes:
>       - libbonobo/libbonoboui

        For these, I think it's probably best to point people at
libbonobo/changes.txt and libbonoboui/changes.txt since these include some
notes on all the changes and a little on what to do about them. Bonobo has
had fairly substantial API changes.

>       - libgnomecanvas
>       - libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui

        Print changes should be fairly minimal - I think;

> 5. Missing for good reason:
>       - ORBit2

        if you see http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/convert/

        There is an orbit2-convert script that does some changes that are
neccessary since ORBit2 moves closer to proper compliance with the spec
and thus breaks some things.

        There is also a 'g2convert.pl' script that was built up while I
hacked gal across.

> Finally, section 5: Do we need something on porting from ORBit to
> ORBit2? For the most part, I think that people wanting to write "true"
> GNOME applications that use components will be encourages to use
> Bonobo, rather than work at the CORBA level. If I'm wrong about this,
> then ORBit2 goes straight into section 4.

        This is correct - more important is porting to BonoboObject from
BonoboXObject - which in fact is only difficult because we moved from
GtkObject to GObject.

        I also have some notes I wrote wrt. porting gal - that will prolly
be of use to you; by separate mail.

	Oh and finally - thanks so  much for putting this document
together, it's badly needed.

	Regards,

		Michael.