Re: Why is bonobo-config a 2.0 core library?

On 22Nov2001 02:46PM (+0000), Stephen Browne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was really hesitant to send this mail because I really dont want
> to ressurect a flamefest about bonobo-confg, but here goes anyway.
>
> My question is in the subject and I'd like the release team to consider
> this at their next meeting.
>
> I cant see anything in GNOME 2.0 that is (should) be using bonobo-config
> so I'm wondering why it is defined as a core 2.0 lib. If I missed
> something that is using it then let me know.
>
> Control Center is moving to GConf now and the only other thing I could
> see that defined a dependancy on b-c was gnome-media which doesn't
> actually use it anywhere.
>
> Also I noticed that b-c has been taken out of the list of HEAD modules
> in the vicious-build-scripts.
>
> Iain, I have attached a patch to remove the pkg-config check for
> bonobo-config from gnome-media, mostly to follow the 'send a patch get
> get heard' process. :-)

Since nothing in the core uses bonobo-config, and since nearly all
apps are going with straight GConf for the foreseeable future (even
Evolution is moving to GConf post-1.0 from what I am told), we should
seriously consider making bonobo-config a non-core component for 2.0.

That will mean less code to test for the core release, and will give
bonobo-config a chance to stabilize and mature before we lock it in as
part of the platform.

Does anyone else have specific thoughts on the benefits of retaining
bonobo-config as part of the core release, or the risks/costs of doing
so?

Regards,

Maciej