Re: [G2R] Why is bonobo-config a 2.0 core library?

Hi Stephen,

On 22 Nov 2001, Stephen Browne wrote:
> I was really hesitant to send this mail because I really dont want to
> ressurect a flamefest about bonobo-confg, but here goes anyway.

        Amazing.

> My question is in the subject and I'd like the release team to
> consider this at their next meeting.

        I won't be there; sadly since I'm on holiday - so go for the
discussion - lets make it really uneducated, like the last spate !

> I can't see anything in GNOME 2.0 that is (should) be using
> bonobo-config so I'm wondering why it is defined as a core 2.0 lib. If
> I missed something that is using it then let me know.

        It's extremely useful for any CORBA aware app - perhaps a
scripting binding - without it you get to wrap the gconf API for every
single scripting language; which just sucks.

	However it does need some considerable fixage, and do some yucky
things with TypeCodes that might be good to hide inside the ORB.

	I hope that libbonoboui will use uit to store its configuration in
due course to remove an explicit dependency on GConf, but for now it's
haced to use GConf - temporarily.

        Regards,

                Michael.