Re: Gtk+ and the freeze

(gnome-hackers dropped from distro)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> The GNOME 2.0 release team has decided to give the Gtk+ team a grace
> period until the end of Saturday to get already planned API changes
> in. This is in the interests of trying to get Gtk+ truly frozen as
> fast as possible.
>
> After Saturday, we will expect Gtk+ (and glib and pango and atk) API
> changes to go through the normal review process. We really need to get
> the foundation of our platform fully ready for porting work.

There is a pending change to GtkStyle properties in an
accessibility/theming patch  for Gtk+ which Owen  still has not had time
to review.  It's critical to providing various vision-impairment themes,
but it's a substantial patch so under the circumstances I would be
surprised if he had time to review it today ;-)

There is a second (much smaller) patch which is blocking on the first
one, which adds another GtkStyle property for the same purposes, to
allow theming of the line thickness for text carets which are currently
too thin for people with poor eyesight (or bad laptop displays ;-) to
see.

Here are the additional gtkwidget property names:

For focus-line theming:

focus-line-width  (param_spec_int)
focus-line-pattern (param_spec_string)
focus-line-padding  (param_spec_int)

For text caret theming:

text_caret_aspect_ratio (param_spec_float)

At the moment cursor_color is a property in gtkentry and in gtktextview,
it's been suggested that this should be a single property on gtkwidget,
for consistency, so that suggestion (merging these two color properties)
should be reviewed now as well.

regards,

Bill