Re: dot.plan update + info request

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:22:11 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've (finally, sorry) updated dot.plan to include our release roadmap, and
>the Big Arse packages list:
>
>  http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/
>
>The package list is Not Finalised! It's based on discussions both here and
>between the release team; the last three release sets (Fifth Toe, Developer
>Carpet Bag, Office) are *very* incomplete.

I just checked and noticed that gnome-pim is still on the Desktop
list.

As what I believe is the last remaining active maintainer, I'm not
sure I think we should be releasing it with 2.0.  For all intents and
purposes, new development has stopped on gnome-pim, with all of the
effort (and none of mine, unfortunately) going into Evolution.  I have
the time to commit occasional bug fixes to gnome-pim, and the
gnome-pilot team commits patches occasionally to keep the existing
pilot conduit support in gnome-pim compatible with new releases of
gnome-pilot, but that's about it.  IMHO, Evolution's components are
simply better PIM components than those in gnome-pim.  About the only
reason I see for keeping gnome-pim around is it's lighter weight...

I also have no time to work on porting in the next month (i.e. before
the scheduled beta 1), and I'm not even sure how much time I'll have
over winter break to do it.  At the moment, I don't even really have
time to figure out how much time it would take or what it would
involve.  (The elections are really my primary GNOME commitment at the
moment, and likely to be so for a few more weeks; then it's finals
time here...)

Of course, anyone else is free to do it, or assume maintainership.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999