Re: API freeze for GNOME 2

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> On 13Nov2001 06:06PM (-0500), jacob berkman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 17:51, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > >
> > > The GNOME 2.0 API freeze is on. The board has asked the release team
> > > to be more fascist about enforcing the freeze.
> > >
> > > Therefore we would like all GNOME 2 API changes to be run by the
> > > release team.
> > >
> > > No API changes should happen at this point without the release team
> > > knowing about them first.
> >
> > i assume this does not include glib / pango / atk / gtk+.
> >
> > am i incorrect?
> >

> My understanding was that the board did not intend such an
> exception. Owen and Havoc were there and did not say anything about
> it. In fact, they said Gtk+ and affiliated libraries were essentially
> frozen except for one change that was partially done in cvs.

Well, "essentially" is the important word here.

There are a small known set of API changes that are still open.
Almost all of them should have minimal impact on downstream
parts of GNOME. Tim and I are working hard to get these done
this week; when we do that we'll release 1.3.11 and declare
it API frozen.

Hopefully this will happen soon enough so that we can avoid
any controversy about the release team reviewing GTK+ changes
by avoiding them.

We'll make sure we mail gnome-2-0-list about any changes we
make this week that might have a downstream impact. (*)

Regards,
                                        Owen

(*) Possible changes with downstream implications are:

 - Making GtkButton a NO_WINDOW widget. Theoretically not
   an API change, but has effects on people using a GtkButton
   in creative/hackish ways.

 - Propagating keystrokes up the widget heirarchy from the
   focus widget instead of just sending them to the widget.

 - Fine tuning the AccelGroup changes that were just checked in.

 - Not installing random marshallers from gtkmarshal.h. If you
   are using marshallers you need to generate them with
   glib-genmarshal, and we should enforce that.