Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On 27 May 2001 14:55:15 -0400, jrb redhat com wrote:
> George Farris <george gmsys com> writes:
>
> > On 25 May 2001 11:21:17 -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > > Tearoff menubars are totally on crack, I haven't seen or heard about
> > > anyone ever actually using them. Tearoff menus is a bit more useful, but
> > > still I don't think I've ever used them myself.
> > >

> > I use tear of menus all the time, it's absolutely GREAT in GIMP.  Please
> > don't remove this feature.  You can make it a default to not have it
> > enebled but please don't remove it.
>
> People are talking about getting rid of tearoff menubars, not tearoff
> menus.  Tearfoff menus can indeed be quite useful.  Tearoff menubars are
> clearly silly.
>
> -Jonathan

Actually, tearoff menubars as they exist now are useless. I've
recommened repeatedly that when they are torn off they become NeXT-style
pinned menus (or torn-off menus). IOW, a system similar to this:

[# File Edit Blah Help ]
  -----(torn-off)-----
=================
|     File    > |
|     Edit    > |
|     Blah    > |
|     Help    > |
| [_] Re-attach |

Doing something like that couldn't be all that difficult.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.ignore-your.tv

    If the United States Government spent as much on education
    as it did on the military, every student could fail in a
    solid gold desk.