Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

Bastien Nocera wrote:

That bring me to something that I need for the application I'm writing,
and could certainly be of great use. Why do all the applications, as
soon as they need more than simply reading config files, have to create
their own directories (some hidden, some not) in the ~/

My application is an iTunes clone. I want to save Playlists, have users
an easy way to add or remove effects configuration files (for the
visualisation plugin), and store the newly ripped songs. So I created a
~/RhythmBox/ directory containing all that. Nautilus has its ~/Nautilus,
Evolution the ~/evolution (or ~/Evolution...), gtk+ themes in ~/.themes,
etc.

Would it be possible to have all this visible, and in one directory like
GNUStep does: ~/Gnome ?
And every app could create the subdirectories as needed, and the user
has a much better experience, because he knows there is important data
there, and he can modify it. Drop a theme, a plugin, a script, a
playlist, a song that the app will understand.

This is something I have wanted for a long time. Problem is all the "legacy" apps. What do we do about them?

-b

--
"One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
stupidity, that the media is reassuring people it's