Re: ORBit2 and linc - licensing?

On 21 May 2001, Alex Graveley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Linc and ORBit2 are LGPL, OpenSSL is BSD with an Advertising Clause. I
> know little about licensing, but isn't the OpenSSL license
> non-compatible with the (L)GPL?
>
> Another problem is that proprietary software generally has a strong
> dislike for advertising restrictions, in my experience. This has to be a
> major consideration if ORBit2 is going to be the be the basis for GNOME
> 2.

Considering that the support is - as far as I can see - optional, I don't
personaly see a problem. Enities not desiring openssl support would not
include it. Entities not wanting to ship openssl due to the advertising
cluase can skip shipping it and merely point it out to the users that if
the click on the 'enable ssl support in orbit' checkbox, they will need to
download or compile openssl for teh installation to be functional. But teh
decision should - in my very humble opinion - be left to these entities.

Naturally, that is merely my private opinion - I don't speak for anybody
or anything else.

> -Alex

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly