Re: GNOME 2.0 Status and Martin's Travelling Schedule

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> Hi jrb,
>
> On 2 May 2001 jrb redhat com wrote:
> > > Then create your UI, bonobo_control_new() it and call
> > > gnome_selector_bind_to_control().
> >
> > Woah!  Are you proposing mirroring every widget in libgnomeui as a
> > bonobo control or something?  That sounds like a huge amount of bloat
> > for very little gain?  What's wrong with just using widgets here??
>
> 	There is no bloat there that cannot be pruned down, I don't know
> that I'd personaly do it for every widget, but the promise of trivial,
> working language bindings for every language with little effort is a nice
> one.

My gut instinct is that the CORBA stubs will be the same size as all the
widgets - there is hardly a lot of code in libgnomeui here.

> > Why?!?!??  Why are we bonoboizing stuff in libgnomeui?  I'm confused
> > here.  I don't think our widgets are complicated enough, and our
> > component system light-weight enough for us to consider this.
>
> 	There is no need per-se for a widget to be complicated in order
> for it to be componentized IMHO.

I'm just talking about granularity.  A component per widget in GTK/gnome
seems like overkill at this stage -- especially given that we are on a
tight schedule and the GNOME API is fairly fluid.

Thanks,
-Jonathan