Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On Thursday 07 June 2001 21:52, Lion Kimbro wrote:
> <QUOTE>
> Another nice feature was the installation of programs. You
> dragged a directory from one place and droppped it somewhere
> else! If the dir contains a script with a certain name then that
> script is run to start the program within when the dir is double-
> clicked from the filer (rather than simply opening the dir). If
> there was a particular image file within the dir then that became
> the applications icon (in place of the default dir icon). This
> kind of thing may be harder to implement with unix-like systems
> where an applications files are spread across the system (and
> package management had to be invented to deal with it...)
> </QUOTE>
>
>   How does RISC OS take care of registrations?

<QUOTE url="http://rox.sourceforge.net/style.php3"; section="Software
installation">
[Quote too long to print here]
</QUOTE>

Anyway the concept of application directories _is_ appealing. But your right
this solution isn't very nice. But I think the original post refers to the UI
of rox and it wasn't the intention to say forgot gnome we should all use the
rox system. And even if the approch taken by rox isn't the best, the approch
we took in gnome till 1.4 is worse. If gnome is installed centrally by the
admin, no user can install (working) Gnome-application in his homedir.

And it is a good thing to think about the features of rox or other none Gnome
system, and think whether their features are worth having a good (or better)
gnome solution. An easy way to install an application 'just out of the box'
even as user is something to think about.
In Gnome/Gnu term: making the packages relocatable(as e.g. rpm supports) and
having an easy interface to the systems packet management, maybe with "make
packet from installation" feature.
I think if we really want we could do that and have something that is from
the user expierence much like application directories.

<DISCLAIMER>So just for your and the lists information, I don't want to start
an flamewar...</DISCLAIMER>

As usual in mailing list: I'm not associated with the ROX authors in any
way...

martin