Re: RFC: GnomeMDI

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, George wrote:

> > I tought the compat cruft is to stay only until the next major release.
> > I.e. you will have the timeframe from GNOME2 to GNOME3 to migrate
> > completely from depracated GNOME1 stuff since they will disappear
> > completely in GNOME3.
> > Otherwise,  we will have compat stuff 10 times the size of actual content
> > for GNOME8.
>
> That's the price of being compatible, and we should be so.  GnomeMDI is
> actually quite useful too.

This, of course, is not about MDI specifically.

> Remember that larger companies are a few versions behind in everything, so
> you can't expect them to be always up to date.

I still think we need a 100% complete deprecation schedule.

Free software has traditionally been very fast on adapting to new APIs
(just witness how many programs depended on various
incompatible versions of libgtk1.1-* before gtk+ 1.2 on Debian, driving
maintainers crazy:), so the time frame from 2.0 to 3.0 should be more than
enough for those to leave deprecated stuff.
And I can't really care for closed-source proprietary applications (I
don't know if there is a single closed-source app out there that uses
GNOME).

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001