Re: GConf/bonobo-config question

Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au> writes:
> Having followed the whole GConf and bonobo-config flame^Wdiscussion, I
> hope I am misunderstanding something.
>
> People keep mentioning the system database that will store the "default"
> entries for various applications. Does this mean I won't be able to
> install an application as Joe Average User because it will want to write
> to the system default config database (which I assume will have to be
> world readable, but only admin writable)?
>
> It would be nice if I am completely confused about things here. :-)

Apps will normally provide a way to change which database is
considered the default database at configure time. e.g.  GConf itself
has an option "--enable-gconf-source=foo" for that, and also honors
the GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE environment variable.  (Though both the option
and the env variable have kind of stupid names, I realize now that I'm
having to tell you about them.)

Havoc