Re: GnomeMDI

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 04:25:26PM -0700, Seth Aaron Nickell wrote:
> Just a note... Window in Window MDI is considered an extremely ineffective
> interface. The industry trend is to move away from it. If I'm correct,
> Microsoft Visual Studio is the only actively developed Microsoft
> application that still uses this interface, and I'm not even sure visual
> studio does. Office recently ditched mdi altogether (at least by
> default). Tabs are considered better UI when MDI is actually necessary
> (its probably better to avoid MDI altogether, though there's some
> disagreement about this).

MDI is good, without MDI you have a process and app for each document which
sucks in a major way.  The old standard 3 mdi interfaces are probably much
nicer then WIW, though that's a judgement call I suppose.  The problem is
that different apps do MDI in different ways which sort of sucks.  If
everyone used GnomeMDI (which would perhaps require GnomeMDI API to suck
less) then MDI apps would work in the same way, and would follow the users
preferred style of work.

Anyway there is no need to extend efford for WIW in GnomeMDI since that's
been done and working for over a year now.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.