Re: GNOME 2.0 building - a report

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Ravi Pratap M wrote:

> -----------
>
> Issues that block parallel installs of GNOME 1.x and GNOME 2.0 :
>

> * Macros :
>
> 	The main reason for having autoconf, automake etc installed in the
> /opt/gnome2 prefix again is that aclocal seems to be getting terribly
> confused between macros from the two platforms. This needs urgent fixing
> but as Havoc pointed out, it seems more like an aclocal problem. Is the
> solution to rename our macros ?

Well, take for example a look at glib/gtk - the macros are now qualified
with 2. I think something similar has to happen with others. pkg-config
should allow the number of installed/used macros to be cut down to some
extent.

> 	That's it. I hope I haven't produced a completely useless report
> and wasted bandwidth and everybody's time :-) I shall be following this up

IMHO, not at all 8-)

> with patches to various modules to have some of the stuff fixed.
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 		Ravi
>
> --
> "If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
> who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."
>
>               -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest
>
> 	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
>                       <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
	-- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'