GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability issues

Hello all,

	After going about patiently trying to get a working GNOME 2 setup
for myself, there are a number of issues that I have run into and I would
like to highlight them so that these can be corrected ASAP.

	All the various problems I have run into so far indicate that
GNOME 1.x and 2.0 environments cannot be installed in the same prefix (and
this needs to be fixed).  There are a number of reasons for this and they
are highlighted :

	* Macros : aclocal freaks out because it is getting terribly
confused with macros installed by the 1.x version (in /usr, say) and the
2.0 versions (say in /opt/gnome2).

	I have not been able to pinpoint the exact source of the problem
but the solution has been to install, as Jens pointed out, autoconf,
automake etc separately into the /opt/gnome2 prefix so that aclocal
doesn't look at the ones in the /usr prefix.

	* Some modules (like oaf and libart) use the same Conf.sh
filenames. Is this okay for oaf ?

	* Building gnome-vfs gives me this :

In file included from /usr/include/orb/orbit.h:62,
                 from /usr/include/liboaf/oaf.h:7,
                 from /usr/include/liboaf/liboaf.h:34,
                 from gnome-vfs-mime-handlers.h:29,
                 from gnome-vfs-application-registry.c:47:
/usr/include/orb/dynany.h:271: parse error before `*'
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/include/orb/dynany.h:272: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
/usr/include/orb/dynany.h:275: parse error before `CORBA_NameValuePairSeq'
In file included from /usr/include/orb/orbit.h:69,
                 from /usr/include/liboaf/oaf.h:7,
                 from /usr/include/liboaf/liboaf.h:34,
                 from gnome-vfs-mime-handlers.h:29,
                 from gnome-vfs-application-registry.c:47:
/usr/include/orb/sequences.h:36: parse error before `*'
/usr/include/orb/sequences.h:36: warning: data definition has no type or
storage class
make[2]: *** [gnome-vfs-application-registry.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/gnome-vfs/libgnomevfs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/gnome-vfs'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

	gnome-vfs is on -Werror but how did Sander get it to build ?

	When I don't want gcc to look into /usr/include but instead look
only at /opt/gnome2/include how do I do that ?

	While building gtk+ from HEAD however, the deps files tell me that
it uses the headers in /opt/gnome2/include and not the ones in /usr. How
is this done ?

	Well, I can't proceed with libbonobo building either because of :

bonobo-moniker-util.c: In function `lookup_naming_context':
bonobo-moniker-util.c:973: structure has no member named `_id'
<snip>
make[2]: *** [bonobo-moniker-util.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/libbonobo/bonobo'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/libbonobo'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

	Michael ?

	Regards,

		Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest

	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
                      <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>