Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Jody Goldberg <jgoldberg home com> writes:
> From a feature perspective bonobo-config takes a hit for lacking
> system level overrides,

There are several more requirements that may be relevant.

For example:
 - how do you install default values?
 - how do sysadmins reset to defaults?
 - how do you install docs for keys?
 - how do you edit values with scripts, with a web GUI, etc.
   (i.e. when the property control is not available)
 - gconftool equivalent
 - mandatory values (overrides)
 - settings for an entire computer lab, workgroup, etc.
 - "using CORBA_any for config values = bad"
   (Colm expresses this well in the old gconf-list thread)

I also continue to view level of testing, backward compat, error
handling and robustness as important issues.

If this issue is still controversial and we are not agreed to simply
point "config:" at GConf, my suggestion is that Dietmar and myself
each write up a thorough document outlining a) the requirements we see
for a config system and b) how the respective systems address those
now and in future plans. That would allow the GNOME community to make
an informed decision.

Havoc