Re: [gnu-linux.guile-devel] YAAU: Yet Another Autoconf Update

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> I'm not sure why you have been ignoring my mails asking about the possibility
> of supporting both autoconf 2.13 and 2.5x, but there is absolutely no way
> I'm going to accept a patch to change GLib, Pango, or GTK+ until you give me
> some feedback on that issue.

Hi Owen,

I'm not ignoring any mails from you, maybe it was the fact that I was very
busy at the university and reading some mails there and others at home that
I missed it.

As I understood the situation, autoconf 2.13 is a dead end and no longer
maintained while 2.52 is the latest stable version [1] so that we need to
upgrade anyways. If this is correct, then we can assume that most distributions
will also start shipping 2.5x soon.

So I don't see what your problem here is and why you want to support both 2.13
and 2.52 -  IMO the correct solution for this is to just require 2.52 everywhere,
both in GNOME 1.x and in GNOME 2.

Other GNU projects - for instance Guile which has been branched for 1.6 two
weeks ago - are also switching to 2.52, so long term there's no other way.

[1] Still awaiting an official statement about this from the autoconf
    maintainer, just sent him a mail.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)