Re: help making librsvg and eel stay out of the way of GNOME 1 versions

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> Notes for Ramiro:
>
> >>  - rename the library to include version number in Makefile.am.
> >>    So replace libgtk.la with libgtk-1.3.la or whatever.
>
> I think you should do this only for the newer version.

If it wasn't clear, definitely this is what I meant - no changing
library names in stable branches, that's the ultimate ABI
breakage. ;-)

> >>    This may require a re-release of eel1 to fix, but it has to be
> >>    fixed, or people including eel/foo.h will get the old headers.
>
> I think you should do this for both.

This one is a very minor source incompatibility, so is probably OK
in stable.

> >>  - if you have executables or data files, rename them or the directory
> >>    they are inside
> >>
> >>  - change your .pc files or -config scripts to contain
> >>    -I includedir/eel2, and the new library name.
> >>
> >>  - docs need installing to a versioned directory also, of course,
> >>    a special case of data files
>
> These also can be changed only for the newer version.

Right.

Havoc