Re: moving gnome-vfs MIME code into libgnome so libbonobo can use it

Hi Darin,

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> Why not put the entire virtual file system in libgnome?

        Because it was decided by the gnome alliance that we should have
separate libraries where possible - and there is no real need to merge
these two libraries.

> What's the concept of libgnome? Perhaps if I understood libgnome
> better I could see more clearly that it should include MIME sniffing,
> for example, but not a virtual file system layer, for example.

        The concept of libgnome is becoming increasingly deprecated to
bonobo - but it still includes some useful stuff, especialy for
compatibility.

> I understand that you want libbonobo to be as low-level as possible
> and want as few dependencies as possible. I don't yet understand how
> libgnome fits into this picture.

        Yes, you see the dependency tree looks a little like this -
forgive my ASCII art...

glib --- ORBit2 --- oaf --- libbonobo----- libgnome
      \                                  /
       ----------- gnome-vfs ------------
                  /
GConf et. al.-----

        I just want to push the monikers up hill from libbonobo into
libgnome that do the file sniffing - it's really rather
non-controversial I hope. Of course, merging libgnome with gnome-vfs
would have the effect of adding a libbonobo dependency - which I
understand you want to avoid. [1]

        Regards,

                Michael.

[1] - but it would make sense to have the file monikers in gnome-vfs
to my mind personaly - and a CORBA API for the gnome-vfs layer.