using vicious-build-scripts with gnomehide RPMs

Hi all,

For some people this might be obvious, but here's how I got the
gnomehide RPMs to work with the vicious-build-scripts. It took me a
while to figure this all out, so hopefully this will be useful to
someone else.

Using the RPMs is a huge timesaver since you don't have to compile all
of the modules yourself. It also saves a lot of disk space.

This assumes you are using the gnome-head setup in /gnome/head.

BUILDING MODULES
----------------

Step 0: do the normal vicious-build-scripts setup using the bootstrap
script. Also install *all* of the gnomehide RPMs from the "Gnome 2
Developer Snapshots" channel in red carpet.

Step 1: copy the autoconf macros that were installed by the RPMs to
/gnome/head/INSTALL/share/aclocal so that they can be found by the build
scripts:

cp -R /usr/share/aclocal/* /gnome/head/INSTALL/share/aclocal

Step 2: update the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to include the
/usr/lib/pkgconfig path. Otherwise the scripts wont find the pkgconfig
files from the RPMs.

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig

Step 3: now you should be able to build gnome-core. Do 'modmake.sh
gnome-core'. Other modules (like nautilus) should also build.

CONFIGURING BONOBO AND GETTING STUFF WORKING

To run nautilus or the panel you have to get bonobo-activation working.
I did the following:

Step 1: include /gnome/head/INSTALL/lib in the library path:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/gnome/head/INSTALL/lib

Step 2: add /gnome/head/INSTALL/lib/bonobo/server to the
bonobo-activation servers path. While you are root do the following:

bonobo-activation-sysconf
--add-directory=/gnome/head/INSTALL/lib/bonobo/server

Step 3: after adding the path restart the bonobo-activation-server by
running the 'bonobo-slay' command.

RUNNING NAUTILUS A SECOND TIME

Right now, whenever I run nautilus once and quit it, it wont work a
second time. I can get it to start a second time if I run 'bonobo-slay'
after quitting it.

Ok, hope this is helpful.

- Frank