Re: [G2R] ORBit2 / linc non-blocking API: change request

Hi Jody,

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> Hmm, the change itself would be ok to go in, but your description of
> it makes me wonder if it will be usable in all situations.  The
> gnumeric -> guppi connection sometimes pumps big chunks of data
> across.  I'd like to be sure that the connection breaker is either
> optional, or takes the number of pending msgs into account along
> with the outstanding byte count.

	It's totaly optional yes - naturaly we still want to be able to
pass lots of data around. As a nice side effect it means we can do
_really_ asynchronous data transfer with the new async API - so we'll
can avoid blocking altogether even on normal interfaces ( like
Bonobo::Stream ).

> Given that linc is basicly an ORBit2 internal library and this change
> is strictly a signal addition it safe to go in even this far into the
> freeze.  If there is the potential for more change in the future you
> may want to add some placeholders for future expansion while you're at
> it.

	Sure - the 'blocking' signal is really for future expansion - it
seems like a useful thing to be able to be notified of; and the write
options being opaque mean that we can easily add other options such as
timeouts later without altering the message signatures in a purely
incremental way.

	Thanks for looking it over,

	Regards,

		Michael.