RE: filesel dialogs

Why not both ?

On the side of the save dialog, there is an icon and you can drag it to
save...

What I would like to see in the file dialog is the ability to shortcut.
Sometimes it could be a pain to move from /home/user to /mnt/cdrom to
/usr/share/ etc... without talking about remote filesystems (mnt/windows/my
documents/)

If you could have a list of shortcuts (That Nautilus could understand
too)...

I think the idea of having icons insteads of file names is good. Nautilus
does that already, so it is just a question of reading nautilus thumbnails.

Basically the dialog could be:

Diag1
|--|Options|-----------------|
|----| tree Drop Down |------|
| file names , attributes    |
|                            |
|---| file name |------------|
|---|Filter     |----|Icon|--|

Diag2
|--|Options|-----------------|
|----| tree Drop Down |------|
| file names |  Image Thumb  |
|            |               |
|---| file name |------------|
|---|Filter     |----|Icon|--|

Moving from Diag1 to Diag2 would be done by options.

Right clicking on a file should give you the same options as in Nautilus
(Rename, Permissions, Owner, Duplicate,...)

The Icon allow you to drag and drop to save. Right click on the icon allow
you to choose the icon.

The Tree drop down should be if you are in /:

Shortcut1
Shortcut2
/
/bin
/home
/sbin
/usr

or if you are in /home/user
Shortcut1
Shortcut2
/
/bin
/home
/home/user
/sbin
/usr/

Cheers.

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: franck sopac org <mailto:franck sopac org>
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/
<http://www.sopac.org/> Support FMaps: http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
<http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/>

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this e-mail
without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be necessarily
the views of SOPAC.