Release Team Minutes (past two weeks!)

Hi all,

Resending, as I didn't notice these not hitting the lists. :(

- Jeff

--
    "Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the same
                     thing as division." - Greg Leblanc

Present:

  John Fleck
  Jamin P. Gray
  Seth Nickell
  Sander Vesik
  Jeff Waugh (chair, minutes)

Regrets or Missing:

  Karl Gaffney
  Jody Goldberg
  Telsa Gwynne
  Gregory Leblanc
  Kjartan Maraas
  Michael Meeks
  Maciej Stachowiak

Previous Actions
================

  PENDING: Telsa's bugzilla documentation & MUSTFIX guide

  PENDING: Maciej to post about area coordinators MUSTFIX responsibilities

  DONE: Telsa to post more You Are Here reminders
   => just one so far

  DONE: Maciej to convince Tim and Owen to bite the bullet and commit/freeze
   => 1.3.11 coming out today

  DONE: Find someone to take on GNOME 1.4.1 release
   => greg has taken it on!

  ACTION: Sander will get accessibility requirements, proposed MUSTFIX list
    from Bill H.

  ACTION: Jeff, Greg (?), Sander to handle this weekend's release

Decisions & Discussions
=======================

* GNOME 2.0 Human Interface Guidelines publication

  - shouldn't be a requirement: huge workload for gnome 2.0 if it was

  - MUSTFIX checklist? things like dialogue layout, etc.

  - We'll have a usability MUSTFIX list from this to show hackers

* Release requirements (What is worthy of release? Are we building the right
  expectations? Can we do it? This needs documenting.)

  - Sander: we shouldn't have more requirements than simply porting

  - What if requirements are suggested? How to find out if they're done? We
	need reviewers/mustfix lists from appropriate people for this
	(accessibility is main example here).

  - "GNOME 2.0 Developer Desktop" release idea

  - "I don't consider an email client and webbrowser to be a non-essential
	app." - Seth (confusing everyone)

  - Porting Gnumeric is hard, because of fonts, gnome-print etc., the platform
	is "semi-unreleased, semi-frozen"

  - Big Four: Mozilla, Evo, Abiword, Gnumeric should be "assumed to be
	available" with a desktop release, that's not going to happen in the
	current timeframe.

  - Integration issues: Looking the same, similar defaults, etc.

* Application requirements (What do you have to do to be included in GNOME
  2.0?  This needs documenting.)

  - Needs to be part of porting guide

  - Basic stuff: "Porting so they run", "Use 2.0 libs, no 1.x libs"

  - Mostly a documentation and outreach issue - less central people need to
	know this stuff.

* Porting Guide (Plan B)

  - NO PLAN B NECESSARY! HOORAY FOR MALCOLM! YAY!

* Mini-release (freeze release) today or over this weekend?

  - Sander, Greg (?) and Jeff. Test numbered/released packages together and put
	together the release for announcement early next week.
Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/12/01

Present:

  Karl Gaffney
  Telsa Gwynne
  Gregory Leblanc
  Sander Vesik
  Jeff Waugh (chair, minutes)

Regrets or Missing:

  John Fleck
  Jamin P. Gray
  Jody Goldberg
  Kjartan Maraas
  Michael Meeks
  Seth Nickell
  Maciej Stachowiak

Previous Actions
================

  DONE: Telsa's bugzilla documentation & MUSTFIX guide
   => we have mustfix plan, documentation not so critical

  DEFERRED: Maciej to post about area coordinators MUSTFIX responsibilities

  DEFERRED: Sander will get accessibility requirements, proposed MUSTFIX list
    from Bill H.
   => no accessibility unless miracles happen, probably pretty harsh

  PENDING: Jeff, Greg (?), Sander to handle this weekend's release
   => had to wait for package updates for 1.3.11, etc.

  DONE: Telsa to contact Hallski re: Yelp
   => hallski already get back to us

  ACTION: Find out what's going on with gnomecc, kick arse

Decisions & Discussions
=======================

* Per-module critical fix list from Owen

  - Panel is a serious problem, applets depend on it (various people working on
	it, need help with cooperation)

  - Will yelp provide bonobo component? (minimise code, nautilus component?)

  - Nautilus fairly safe, because we have Super Darin

  - Control centre is in serious disarray; bugs list needs *lots* of love

  - Far harsher with components to release

  - gcolorsel, gfontsel to be removed from desktop release given lack of
	portage

  - Various reports on ggv; without portage, will no longer be part of GNOME
	desktop

  - gnome-pim in the air, up for grabs; fairly sure this will not be included,
	as rms (the other one) has already said he won't be porting it

  - meat-grinder to be ported/included?

* Adjusting the schedule

  - Next release: platform beta, desktop alpha

  - Weekly releases / milestones

  - Release gap between devel desktop and 2.0 gold?

  - Little ability to make decisions as critical people again not present at
	meeting

  - Schedule to be finalised at next meeting because of this