Re: Actually looking at the code (GConf vs. BonoboConfig)

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:49:53PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 30Aug2001 04:28AM (-0700), George wrote:
> > OK.  I must say I just had an incredible laugh.  That's because I just looked
> > at the actual use of configuration stuff in libgnome* nowdays.
> >
> > OK, Why was gnome-config bad?  You get no notification when things change.
> > So doing desktop things with it sucks cuz apps don't redraw according to
> > current settings.
> >
> > OK, so where is it used now:
> >
> >   gnome-exec:  to get the user's terminal preference, no need for
> >                notification
> >   gnome-url:   Get the users preferences of how to display urls.
> >                OK a bit more complex, still no need for notification.
>
> The calls in gnome-libs that use these may not need notification (I
> guess they could just always reread the preference each time) but
> other apps will want change notification for these. Nautilus cares
> about the user's terminal preference for instance and may ormay not be
> able to use gnome-exec. But I guess you are not suggesting we use
> gnome_config for them.

Oh god no!  I'm not suggesting we should use gnome_config.  I just said that
in the case of gnome-libs, in the eyes of the user nothing has changed.
Anyway yes these do reread the property each time (Though of course
internally it uses notification if you use GConf since it's cached so that
you don't have to contact the daemon all the time).

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.